Working on DataHub documentation
DataHub documentation uses content from FAIRDOM-SEEK documentation.
FAIRDOM-SEEK documentation is in branches of the GitHub repository seek4science/seek
- gh-pages-sample-update: temporary branch to record features agreed upon during sample working group
FAIRDOM-SEEK documentation (gh-pages branches) has been cloned in GitHub
- ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help: to deploy documentation of the DataHub production instance.
- ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help-test: to deploy documentation of the DataHub test instance. Forked from ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help.
- ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help-usecase: to deploy documentation of the DataHub usecase instance. Forked from ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help.
How to contribute to DataHub documentation
General way of working
- Create issues on ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help.
- Use ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help-test to propose changes to the DataHub documentation pages via pull requests.
- DataHub team will review and approve/reject your changes.
- DataHub team will push the changes towards ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help.
via GitHub GUI
- Go to ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help-test.
- Make the changes you want to propose.
- Open a pull request from your fork (e.g.
username:patch-N, that is created by GitHub by default) towards ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help-test -
mainbranch. You can click the “compare across forks” button to check which repository-branch you are making your pull request to:
- “head repository”: it must be your fork; “compare”: it must be your branch
- “base repository”: it must be
ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help-test; “base”: it must be
IMPORTANT: please make sure that your pull request is towards the base repository ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help-test and the
main branch, and not towards DataHub-help.
- Follow up via GitHub for comments from the DataHub team.
via code editor of your choice (e.g. VSCode)
This is a general workflow in how to work on your own fork (copy) of the repository and request changes through a pull request.
- In GitHub, make a fork of ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help-test using the fork button. Then go to
Code --> SSH --> copy
- Open a terminal and choose a directory. Then type
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help-test.git cd DataHub-help-test
- Set your fork of DataHub-Help (e.g. username/DataHub-help) as your remote
- By default ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help-test is your origin
- When making changes
- Keep your fork up to date by pulling from origin (ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help-test).
- Create a new branch named after your feature/edit and make the changes you want to make.
- Commit and push to remote (e.g. username/DataHub-help).
- In GitHub, open a pull request and make sure to set ELIXIR-Belgium/DataHub-help-test main as base repository.
IMPORTANT: please check that your pull request is against DataHub-help-test main and not DataHub-help.